Thursday, January 16, 2014

Pork Chops, Cornbread & Greens Oh my!


So some of y'all may know that I am not a fan of bacon by any means! It's really more psychological than anything...I'll spare you the gory details, but, when I was 14 I got a real bad stomach virus and the last thing I'd eaten was a plate of bacon right before a soccer tournament and well...you know the story.  Anyway, every once in a while I find a dish involving bacon that I can tolerate.  This one seemed to be a winner I was in a hurry so I didn't make my cornbread from scratch, but I will be sharing that recipe with you soon.
I used a box of Jiffy. Now I'm more of a fan of Glory, but Big Country prefers Jiffy so I went with that.  The next day I used Glory brand to make some cornbread for fellowship after bible Study at church and here's the observation I made.  Glory brand is a bit heavier than Jiffy and a little more grainy so it really depends on whatever cranks your tractor.  I like em' both...depends on my mood.
The cornbread (not muffins) I made with Jiffy came out so airy and fluffy I was impressed with myself I must say! The secret to the fluff is to beat the stuffing out of it while you are mixing. I always beat it longer than box directions suggest, I use a hand mixer and normally have it on high for about 3 minutes. You'll have tiny air bubbles and very few, if any, lumps. Make sure you grease and flour the pan. I use Crisco butter flavor shortening to grease the pan and then I flour it...it works so much better than the no stick spray, in my opinion, when dealing with cakes and breads and such. But again whatever tickles your fancy in your kitchen is alright with me!
Now I didn't have time for fresh greens or even time to simmer frozen greens so I used a can of Glory brand mustard greens and they did the job. Big Country doesn't eat collards so that's the only reason I went with mustard. They aren't my homemade greens, still they are good and fantastic for a homemade taste in a pinch. Didn't really do anything special to those I just dumped the can into my pampered chef microwave steamer pot and I let the microwave handle business
Now onto the main dish...
I used 8 thin sliced boneless pork chops because that's what I pulled out of the freezer. You can use bigger ones if you like, but I do suggest boneless.

Here's what you'll need:
Boneless Pork Chops
Salt
Pepper
Paprika (optional)
Onion Powder
1 clove Garlic
1/2 an Onion (diced well)
Cornstarch or flour (1-2 TBSP)
Bacon (about 5 slices chopped)
Creole Seasoning (optional)
Hot Sauce (optional)
1 TBSP Butter
No stick Cooking spray (I use PAM butter flavor)

Season the pork chops well with salt, pepper, onion powder, paprika and Creole seasoning (I use Tony Cachere's). Spray the no stick cooking spray into your dutch oven or skillet (you can use any pot that will work for pan searing the meat if you don't have either one of those). Over med-high heat put the pork chops in the pot and let em' start cooking.  Turn them frequently so they don't stick, over cook or dry out one all the meat is cooked through turn the fire off and let the meat sit.

I got an action shot of the meat cooking, but then I got mush brain and didn't get another shot until the end :)


Chop your bacon and in a skillet start cooking your bacon. make sure you stir the bacon well to get the pieces separated. Once the bacon is cooked (not over cooked) there should bee a good amount og drippings, add chopped onions to the skillet and mix them in cooking for about a minute or until they start to brown a bit, add chopped garlic and cook for another minute.
Add a cup of cold water (yes cold) to the skillet and stir the ingredients, then add a tablespoon of cornstarch or flour to thicken the gravy. Bring it to a boil for about two minutes, stirring frequently then reduce to medium heat. Add salt and pepper to taste and a dash of hot sauce stir it for about another minute or two and then pour your gravy into the pot over the pork chops and return the pot to heat. If you need more gravy add an additional cup of cold water and an additional tablespoon on cornstarch or flour.  *If you'd like to thicken the gravy more add additional teaspoons of cornstarch or flour until you are satisfied & if you over thicken add a little more water*
Let the chops & gravy simmer over med-low heat for about 15 minutes remove from heat and serve. I served over white rice with greens & cornbread.
Hope y'all enjoy ;)

Don't forget to tweet, FB, share, email, tumble, stumble and all that if you like it! Drop me a line and let me know how yours comes out or if you're gonna try it!

No comments:

Post a Comment